Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Decimals

Key terminology:

ten-thousandths

hundred-thousandths

millionths


Place value Chart

In grade 5 we worked on place value to the millions, and ten thousandths.  The chart above shows the number 27 in a place value chart.  If I divide 27 by 50 using my calculator, I will get 0.54.  If I divide that by 50, I get 0.0108.  Now, If I divide that by 25, I get 0.000432.  Each of those written in the place value chart will look like this:

In the chart, I had to fill in ten-thousandths, hundred-thousandths and millionths.  The place value chart follows the same pattern after the decimal as it does before.  We add the letters "ths" onto the end of the words to indicate they are after the decimal.  The only one that we do not include after the decimal is ones.  There is NO such thing as oneths.  
Read the following page to look at the patterns in the place value chart.

If we look at the number 3.268 579, we would write it in expanded form as:

3 ones + 2 tenths + 6 hundredths + 8 thousandths + 5 ten-thousandths + 7 hundred-thousandths + 9 millionths
= 3 + 0.2 + 0.06 + 0.008 + 0.0005 + 0.000 07 + 0.000 009

We read this decimal as: three and two hundred sixty eight thousandths, five hundred seventy-nine millionths.  Look at the examples in the picture below.



Click on the link below to practice place value with decimals.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Polar bear mash up mental math

 Click the link below to complete today's mental math! https://forms.gle/XYArdHb6RWMQEhyx9